TE KUKI AIRANI FILM FESTIVAL | 6 – 10 August 2019
Teariki Productions presents the second year of Te Kūki ‘Āirani Film Festival. Running from 6 August to 10 August, this year's theme is Vaine Toa (Warrior Women). Over 80% of the films showing will have either a leading female cast or is written, directed and/or produced by a female filmmaker. This year's festival will showcase 6 feature films and 8 short films with 5 days of screenings at the Empire Cinema, Rarotonga.
The weeklong festival encourages international visitors, local community members, creatives and artists to come together to celebrate Indigenous storytelling.
Tuesday 6th August – Opening night - Vai Screening preceded by Our Atolls Speak.
Saturday 10th August – Finale night - Pasifika / Māori Short Films
Special guests and filmmakers appearing are:
- Chelsea Winstanley – Producer of ‘Merata: How Mum Decolonised the Screen’
- Heperi Mita – Direct of ‘Merata: How Mum Decolonised the Screen’
- Bird Runningwater – Indigenous programme director – Sundance Institute
- Vea Mafile’o – Director & Producer of ‘For my Father’s Kingdom’
- Lisa Taouma – Director & Producer of ‘Marks of Mana’
- Eliorah Malifa – Director of the Pasifika Film Festival (Australia)
- Miria George – Writer & Director of Vai (Kūki ‘Āirani)
- Taungaroa Emile – Actor in Vai (Kūki ‘Āirani) & Tama Tu
- Evotiah-Rose Avaiti – Actor in Vai (Kūki ‘Āirani)
- Sharlene George – Producer of Hinekura & Founder of the Sweet Shop
- Becs Arahanga – Director of Vai & Hinekura
- Kath Akuhata-Brown – Producer of Hinekura
- Hone Kouka – Writer & Cofounder - Tawata Productions
Download the full festival programme here
Vai Trailer https://www.facebook.com/TKAFF/videos/1243066352537118/