Enjoy learning from The Reefman (4.5 hrs) how important our Beach to Reef ecosystem is to the people of Rarotonga.
The experience goes like this: Starting from the beach when you arrive, you will prepare and close the umu (earth oven) of seafoods which will be your feast at the end of the tour. After this activity, we will cover fossicking from the beach to the reef learning from the Reefman how we, Cook Islanders, use the numerous resources and biota in this very import source of food supply including conservation of resources and traditional fishing methods.
Weather and tide permitting, we’ll spend half an hour or so fishing with a bamboo rod along the reef edge. It will all be catch and release. Upon returning to the beach, you’ll have time to swim and freshen up before the umu is opened for your kaikai (meal). After that, there will be some more stories, demonstrations of how to prepare one of our iconic seafood, beach hat weaving and music while you wound up the tour with your umu kai!
The only things that you need to bring is sunscreen, reef shoes, a towel and a change of clothes. The only thing that you have to leave behind is bubbles!
This tour will start with pick up from your hotel from 8:30am or at 12:00pm based on when is low tide. Please reconfirm the tour a day before by calling our 24hrs number.
Cook Islands Tours is an Inbound tour operator based in the Cook Islands offering a comprehensive range of tourist services from accommodation quotes & bookings, tour itineraries, airport transfers, special interest tours, sites tour, the popular Progressive Dinner Tour and more. We have our own fleet of buses, vans and VIP cars.
We currently run the following tourist transfers and tours:
- Airport Shuttle Service: We have a Meet and Greet desk at our International Airport Arrival. This is manned for all international flight arrivals. We offer a one way or return International or Domestic Airport Transfer that includes, for International arrival, a fresh flower Ei, a towelette and a chilled bottle of water. For departure, the guests are farewelled with a shell Ei.
- Groups transfers: For any tourist group transfer around the island whether it be on a tour or point to point transfers. We provide very competitive rates. We also have special transfer rates for Sunday church services and the Muri food market on Sunday evening.
- Progressive Dining Tour (4.5 hrs.): This is a unique wine and dine experience to see us in our own backyards. We take guests to three different local homes for dinner starting with starter/entrée in the first home, the main course in the second home and dessert/coffee and tea in the last home.
- Round Rarotonga & Sightseeing Tour (2.5hrs): We take guests around the island showing visitors the sites and point of interest as well the history and things to see and do on Rarotonga including eateries dotted around the island.
- Avarua Historical Walking Tour (1.5hrs): This tour is a leisurely paced walk around the historical parts of Avarua, downtown. This tour includes a guide and light tropical lunch next to the beach.