The COOK ISLANDS PROMISE is our joint commitment to protect all Cook Islands residents, and international visitors from the severe acute respiratory syndrome virus widely known as COVID-19. While we are confident to reopen our borders to New Zealand, we must emphasise to all our visitors, and to tourism operators, the importance of applying pragmatic physical distancing and good hygiene measures.
Kia Orana to Everyone!
We cordially welcome you to our little paradise. We are proud to be able to reconnect with our visitors, welcome family and friends and share our authentic culture and pristine environment. With sustained efforts, we declared the Cook Islands a COVID-19 free zone on the 16 April 2020.
The Cook Islands Promise is a joint commitment between hosts and guests to safeguard the health of our island communities and our visitors. The actions of our promise will endeavor to keep the Cook Islands safe. I urge all our visitors to honour your part of our promise and enjoy a safe and enriching experience.
Prime Minister Hon. Henry Puna
Minister of Tourism
Our commitment works across 3 zones; the General Zone, the Explore Zone and the Stay Zone. Each zone requires actions from us your hosts, and from you, our visitors.
GENERAL ZONE APPLIES TO ALL AREAS.
- Pragmatic physical distancing: Avoid crowded places, close contact settings and confined or enclosed spaces. Remember to keep within your close family and friends bubble. If within two metres of people outside your bubble, avoid direct contact, especially those who are vulnerable.
- Good Hygiene: Remember to wash your hands regularly, cover coughs and sneezes and avoid touching your face. Masks are encouraged if you have a cough or if physical distancing is not possible.
- Disinfection: Avoid unnecessary touching of items in stores or surfaces.
ALL PUBLIC FACILITIES AND VENUES, TRANSPORT, OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES
- Restaurants, Cafes and Eateries: Explore dining options with your accommodator, they may be able to provide information on room service, in room dining, takeaway meals, or food deliveries. Dining out is permitted, however, please make a reservation to avoid unnecessary crowding.
- Public Transport (domestic flights, buses and transfers): Physical distancing may not always be possible, please follow the guidance of your host; Avoid unnecessary touching of surfaces and direct contact with those outside your bubble. Wash or sanitise your hands regularly.
- Bars and Nightclubs, Attractions, Sites, Shops and Offices: Avoid direct contact with those outside your bubble and unnecessary touching of surfaces. Please check in with staff on safety protocols, if uncertain.
APPLIES TO ALL ACCOMMODATION PROPERTIES INCLUDING HOLIDAY HOMES, AIR BNBs ETC. ACCOMMODATORS ARE THE FIRST POINT OF CONTACT FOR INFORMATION AND ASSISTANCE.
- Reception: Be prepared for minimal contact at check in and check out; Ensure your personal details are provided to your accommodator prior to arrival.
- Luggage: To avoid unnecessary physical contact, upon request, your luggage may be delivered directly to your door. We encourage you not to over pack and to buy food and drinks locally.
- Servicing of Rooms: We encourage contactless servicing of rooms and ask for your assistance to vacate the room during room servicing hours. Enquire with your accommodator.
- Holiday homes (Food & Beverage): Consider asking your host to stock your refrigerator and pantry prior to your arrival.
BEFORE YOU DEPART, WE RECOMMEND
See your usual GP for a health check if you feel unwell, ensure you have your medicine supplies
Check for possible airport delays e.g. exit health screening times
Bring your own snorkel gear or consider buying locally
Obtain details for your contactless check in
When you arrive, we recommend
CookSafe is part of a national effort to protect the Cook Islands from the severe acute respiratory syndrome virus widely known as COVID-19. CookSafe is a system to keep track of peoples movements in public places such as shops, cafes and restaurants. The system is a voluntary program. Your participation means you are a part of the national effort to keep the Cook Islands Covid-19 free. To register click here
WHILST ON ISLAND, WE RECOMMEND
Please practice pragmatic physical distancing at all times
Consider wearing a face mask if you have a cough or are in crowded spaces
Wash hands regluarly with soap and water
Sanitise your hands regularly
Cover coughs and sneezes with your arm
Avoid touching your face, eyes & mouth with unwashed hands
Stay home if you have a fever, cough, difficulty breathing, or sore throat
Please adhere to public health messages and measures
If you feel unwell after arriving please advise your accommodator immediately. For those requiring medical advice or attention, call Healthline on 0800 1800. Calls are free of charge.