TOP 4 SNORKELLING SPOTS ON RAROTONGA
- Aroa Lagoon Marine Reserve (beside The Rarotongan Beach Resort & Lagoonarium) is a beautiful location to explore coral reefs in electric turquoise blue water.
- Muri Lagoon - Just to the left of Muri Beach Club Hotel you'll find a great spot for exploring corals in the Muri Lagoon. You can also swim or kayak out to the motu (small island) just in front of Nautilus Resort Rarotonga. There is always the option of snorkelling with Captain Tama's Lagoon Cruizes & Aquasportz or Koka Lagoon Cruises where guests will see giant clams and shapeshifting shoals of tropical fish.
- Fruits of Rarotonga in Tikioki is one of the Marine Parks of Rarotonga. There are some great coral bommies in this area of the lagoon, which attracts a spectacular array of fish, such as: Butterflyfish, Parrotfish, Angelfish, Puffers, Boxfish, Bluefin Trevally, schools of Convict Surgeon, Moray Eels, and the occasional turtle. There can sometimes be a mild current here inside the lagoon, especially when there's a south-easterly wind blowing, so fins are recommended.
- Black Rock is often the calmest place to snorkel on the island due to the prevailing south-easterly winds. This location offers spectacular black volcanic rocks surrounded by beautiful white sand.
Ask your hotel or a local for directions to these spots as well as other snorkelling sites. If you are looking for snorkelling in Aitutaki try one of the many lagoon cruise tours available.
Stand up Paddleboarding
Perfect for the vast turquoise playground of the Cook Islands, paddleboarding and the lagoon go together like bikinis and sunshine. A great way to cruise and explore, there’s so much to see. Stand up paddling is a great way to spot giant trevally, vibrant blue parrot fish, eagle rays, turtles and everything in between.
Whether joining a downwind tour of the lagoon, using it as a blissed-out sunbathing lounger or a diving platform for the kids, there are many options for hiring paddleboards on the beach, from cafés or hotels. You accommodation provider may even have these included with your stay!
There are several guided SUP tours in Muri, Rarotonga that provide a memorable experience. The below are just a few of the options available through multipule operators:
- SUP yoga - with no experience required, you can find your balance and take time to relax on the lagoon
- Day SUP tours - hop on a guided tour of the lagoon, exploring some of the area's snorkelling hot spots
- Night SUP tours - enjoy light entertainment as fish swim around the neon lights attached to the bottom of your board
Sea Scooter Tours
Travelling at 4km and hour, sea scooters are a really fun and easy way to explore the incredible undersea creatures that call the shores of Rarotonga home.
Ariki Adventures offers three 90 minute guided tours:
- Shipwreck Safari
- Turtle Safari
- Bluefin Trevally Safari
KiteSUP offers three a 90 minute guided tours:
- "Ava" Sea Scooter Snorkel
- "Tai" Sea Scooter Snorkel
- "Moana" Sea Scooter Snorkel